Life

It’s Halloween: All Hallow’s Read

Headless Horseman

All Hallow’s Read: Wishbone Style

This year, I’m spreading the book love, giving out candy and books to our trick-or-treaters. We live on a really creepy street and only get around 3 every year so I’ve bought a couple kids books to give out in participation with All Hallow’s Read.

It’s hard to get kids to sit down to read unless you make it a habit in your home. I remember babysitting third grader years ago and reading with her. She couldn’t read the words in first grade readers, didn’t know basic words like “the” or “it,” and would just make up whatever she felt fit the pages. It was disheartening to see her struggle because her parents didn’t take the time to give her this vital skill. It was even harder to see her wanting to grasp reading but that no one would teach her. School just isn’t enough!

Our tradition is to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow every year by the light of the jack-o-lanterns (and possibly a book light because I’m blind in the dark!). While you probably can’t get your kids to sit still tonight because they’re so excited to put their costumes on and go knock on doors and bring in a big candy haul, any parents can appreciate the Wishbone series that introduces their kids to different stories while they get a little down time to do things like make dinner on a busy night.

Lucky for all of us, the Halloween themed episode “Halloween Hound: The Legend of the Creepy Collars” is on Youtube! So use this playlist, plug your computer into the TV  and sit the kids down for some educational entertainment.

Photo by Express Monorail on Flickr
4A43YG78TGT2

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Erin Jepson October 31, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Love this idea! I don’t live at the end of a creepy street and I still don’t get hoards of kids looking for tricks and treats. Sad, really. I love that you made things a bit more exciting by throwing books into the mix! Good for you :)

• Reply Christy Walker October 31, 2012 at 8:04 pm

We’ve read to our kids since they were in the womb. Our oldest’s Lexile range is so high, we have a little trouble finding books for her book reports/talks that aren’t a zillion pages long. And the report we got on our kindergartener at conferences is that she is 1 of 3 that gets to start a reading group in her class and she is one of the best writers already. So I know from experience it pays to read to your kids!

• Reply Kim October 31, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Awesome! That makes me so happy to hear your oldest’s range is high! I’m sure your little one will soon follow.

• Reply Kim October 31, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Our street is filled with law school students and drug dealers. It’s an odd combo. I got the idea from the movement in the UK.

• Reply Katie McManners November 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm

What a great idea to give out books!!!!!

• Reply gina November 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

As an avid reader when I was younger I would have L.O.V.E.D. getting a book for Halloween {and I probably didn’t need to be eating all that candy anyway!}. Too bad you didn’t get any trick-or-treaters :(

• Reply Sarah Von November 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Giving out books?! What a lovely idea!

• Reply Kim November 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I was so disappointed that it was a total bust! We didn’t get a single,blessed,kid! Maybe next year when we live on a street without creepy drug dealers that leave used needles in our trash.

• Reply Kim November 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Me too! I would HAVE DIED IN JOY. Unless the book was lame. Cause that’s no fun! I was sad we didn’t get any. But maybe next year! I’ve been collecting kids books that look suitable from book sales where you can get them at $1 for a bunch of them. Best EVER.

• Reply Kim November 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I have the distinct privileged of only getting a few kids every year. If it had been my parent’s house, where they get around 200+, it wouldn’t have worked. Which it didn’t since I didn’t get any but oh well! Next year!